29 agosto, 2012

Coisas que não mudam #195

Sentiments...
____________

Chiune Sugihara, a Japanese diplomat in Lithuania who, between July and August 1940, issued (ca.) 3,400 visas to frightened Jews looking for a way out of Soviet occupied territory. He saved an estimated 10,000 lives. Like Aristides de Sousa Mendes, Sugihara faced the consequence of his courageous actions in his home country and was relegated to menial jobs for the rest of his life. When asked about the motivation for his actions he replied:

"Well. It is the kind of sentiments anyone would have when he actually sees refugees face to face, begging with tears in their eyes. He just cannot help but sympathize with them. Among the refugees were the elderly and women. They were so desperate that they went so far as to kiss my shoes. Yes, I actually witnessed such scenes with my own eyes. Also, I felt at that time, that the Japanese government did not have any uniform opinion in Tokyo. Some Japanese military leaders were just scared because of the pressure from the Nazis; while other officials in the Home Ministry were simply ambivalent.
People in Tokyo were not united. I felt it silly to deal with them. So, I made up my mind not to wait for their reply. I knew that somebody would surely complain about me in the future. But, I myself thought this would be the right thing to do. There is nothing wrong in saving many people's lives..."

Sem comentários: