25 janeiro, 2011

Espantos #279

Lately I have noticed the no-guns-allowed logo at the doors of some restaurants, cafes and supermarkets. Can't help feeling a little strange about it. What should I think about the seemingly normal establishments that don't post such a logo on their doors? Reminds me of the first, and curiously last (transit in airports doesn't count... hopefully these are gun-free environments), time I went to Texas and entered a bar with the following written announcement (so common on this side of the Atlantic to substitute universally acknowledged logos, even in traffic):

Please check your guns at the door

Coming from a country in which people don't walk around armed (unless they are hunters on hunting days and going to hunt), and having lived for years in the Northeast where you don't see these announcements or logos, I feel now immersed in a totally different and unexpected reality. Let's hope we're all safe.

2 comentários:

Deepti Goel disse...

Very different from the reality in India too... but does not make delhi any safer.

You take care girl!

Anónimo disse...

Oh Well my dear....afraid you just didn't realize before, that is, the first year you lived in Nashville. The gun logos in pretty much every public establishment, restaurants, museums, etc was something I noticed the minute I got to Memphis....for the same reasons you state..
Maria