29 agosto, 2008

Espantos #135

I'm puzzled/amused by the use of the word ma'am. Our friends at google give us more or less flattering definitions, but I guess what amazes me is to hear it in such different circumstances. Check out the following:

(On the phone with the Massachusetts department of motor vehicles)
“No ma’am, you cannot send the documents by mail, you have to come in person.”

(On the phone setting up the utilities for the house)
"Ma'am, could you please repeat that? I can't understand your thick northern accent!!”

(At the cashier's registry to pay for lunch)
the cashier stops, looks me in the eye smiling and saying:

“And are you having a great day today, ma’am?”

Mostly I find it intimidating and when I start getting it a lot I mentally say to myself "you better quit, this is not gonna get you anywhere..." but sometimes, well, sometimes it's so charming that it makes my day ;-)

Sem comentários: