27 novembro, 2008

Caprichos #72

I really like the Village. The sequence of restaurants/coffee-shops on McDougal street, right below Washington square park is one of my favorites in the city. Today I went to the Olive Tree, a Middle-Eastern place with great food and cozy environment.
I first went there about 8 years ago, newly arrived to the US. I was taken there by a friend who had lived in the city for a while and was about to leave. Since then I brought there a few friends from out of town, and I like the place so much that I keep doing so even when I am no longer from town. The place hasn't changed much:
the lamps above each table are stained glass as well as the windows;
the tables are made of slate just like old classroom blackboards and there are little bowls of chalk on every table so that customers have fun while waiting for the food; they serve one of the best baba ganoush in town!

The music today reminded me of the crazy 1920s... Chicago mob type. They were also projecting a silent movie (Charlie Chaplin's City Lights) on a small side screen. Summing up, the place is a must!