14 novembro, 2007

24

Ora aí vai o relato das 24 horas de mar encrespado :)
____________


Context: the objective is to get something urgent in the mail next day

November 12, holiday, no classes, the university is closed
12.30pm get something to eat… meeting coming up, who knows how long it’ll last
1-4.15pm meet my advisor, very productive
4.15-9pm so much to do, you actually eat the rest of your lunch AND also your dinner in front of the computer to save time. I'm impressed... done with the changes in the document in under 5 hours. All left to do is to compile, print and photocopy
9.30pm computer problems strike: my computer is unable to compile the file
10pm attempt compilation in a friend's computer, after wasting time transferring a bunch of files from mine to hers and from hers to mine, basically we switched computers... different software problem, but I am still unable to compile the file
10.30pm-11pm attempts with several computers in the computer lab... again different software problems (how many different variations of a problem, that gives you the exact same outcome, can you get?) but I still can't compile the file
11pm on the phone with a friend that digs a lot of computers... we're still unable to crack down the problem
11.30pm I hear the photocopier is out of toner (not surprising after a long weekend and lots of copies taken)... forget about taking copies today, or shall I say in the next 9 hours

November 13, Tuesday regular business day, the university will be open

12am I drop by my friend's house... we are unable to get the problem solved over the phone on the computer lab machines. I bring my laptop in despair: installation, transfer, I don't care, I just want it done
12.30am Amazingly he solves the problem… he still doesn't have a clue about how he did it
1am final adjustments and successful compilation... should I go home or should I just go to the department and print the document while there is still toner in the lab printers, so that I am able to photocopy 1st thing in the morning, when the toner is back? "Go home Claudia, get some sleep and start early tomorrow"... I take his advice
2-7am Sleep... very productive, but the first two hours are lost: all I see in front of me are mathematical expressions of utility functions. Need to show one is strictly smaller than the other... very pretty! I finally lose consciousness around 4pm. Despite setting the alarm clock for 8, I wake up one hour earlier… adrenaline high
8am arrive at the department and see people circulating with the same clothes they were wearing around midnight... I recall someone asking me right before I left: "Claudia, are you sure you don't live here?" I replied "I am not sure of anything anymore"
8.15am lab printer has toner. The document prints with no further delays
8.30am I should do this... I don't feel like it... I should do this... noooooooooooooo... ok I'll do it: re-read the section I have changed in the document, with the hairy mathematical expressions and all... I catch a typo after 3 hours of sleep only: I'M THE QUEEN OF THE WORLD!!
8.45am reprint last version, post it on the web... there's no turning back!
8.50am photocopier IS working, toner back on... take 15 copies, you need 57, but you should take it easy... there are people (who haven't slept for the night) in line... staples finish right after I’m done
9.05am putting the document in 11 envelopes that have to be fedexed overnight
9.10am still stuffing envelopes and I am checked on by my advisor (same one of the meeting above) how is it going, nice chat about the historical origins of fedex and how wonderful are overnight postal services. I should take a couple of days off... yeah right, like this is gonna end any time soon
9.30am dropped the envelopes to the secretary who will stuff the final confidential documents and close the envelopes
10am more copies, staples are back!!
11am pick up the envelopes run to fedex across the street
11am-12.30pm believe it or not... it took me that long to fill in 10 forms for domestic and 1 for international delivery... $182.85 after, all is sent off... mission accomplished!

Small detail, other than postage, an online process (also with tight deadlines) is necessary... this should take me the next few sets of 24 hours...

Sem comentários: