11 abril, 2009

Memórias #31

Around the age of 4 or 5, children stop being cute and start being somewhat irritating and wild. Still, in this irritating stage one can find rather cute moments.

Same old thing every morning: walking to school, ipod on and loud. Distracted by the loud music, I initially don’t see the boy, though we’re both walking on the same sidewalk: I closest to the road; he, by his mother’s hand, walks in my direction in the middle of the sidewalk, his mom walks closer to the building. I walk fast and look straight ahead focusing on a distant point in the horizon. They walk slower.

The moment we cross each other is very brief… in less than half a second he holds my left arm and yells HI, immediately releasing my arm afterwards.

I don’t stop. Neither do they. But he and I (not his mother who either did not see, or deliberately chose to ignore another of her son’s irritating moments) turn our heads back. He is smiling naughtily. I grin profusely and curve forward, attempting to lower my head to his height, while I wave my hand and return the greeting silently. The kid’s triumphant expression made my day. It took a few seconds for both of us to turn our heads in the direction we were walking. I don’t know about him, but it took me a bit more to gain composure… brought back in me the wild child I once was :-)

2 comentários:

Deepti Goel disse...

o you were wild and ... ahem ahem... u wanted that `monkey', and the dress in the bad magazine... and god knows what else... :-)

Atlantico Ocidental disse...

wild I was... let's say I wanted exquisite things so now I can't get rid of this refined taste :-)))