26 outubro, 2016

No Times de hoje #170

The New York Times today brings an article by Trevor Noah, host of The Daily Show. Noah was born in South Africa in 1984 to a black mother and a white father. He was raised by his single mother in Soweto, a suburb of Johannesburg very aware of the constraints apartheid imposed on mix-raced people, the product of illegal relationships and therefore a crime. Yet, Noah's article focuses less on hardship and more on his mother's role on his upbringing.

"We tell people to follow their dreams, but you can only dream of what you can imagine, and, depending on where you come from, your imagination can be quite limited. The highest rung of what’s possible is far beyond the world you can see. My mother showed me what was possible. The thing that always amazed me about her life is that no one showed her. No one chose her. She did it on her own. She found her way through sheer force of will.

Perhaps even more amazing is the fact that my mother started her little project, me, at a time when she could not have known that apartheid would end. I was nearly 6 when Mandela was released, 10 before democracy finally came, yet she was preparing me to live a life of freedom long before we knew freedom would exist."

Sem comentários: