21 agosto, 2009

Coisas que não mudam #103

The lady tending the bar asked me, from far, what I wanted. I clumsily uttered some Spanish words while pointing at the sandwiches right in front of me. Since I didn’t want any coffee, she turned to the next customer, standing right next to me, and asked him if he wanted his coffee straight or with milk, he replied with milk and then turned to me saying that without milk it causes damage. Unable to reply any sensical word in Spanish I just smiled. After handling the coffee machine, the lady finally came in my direction and was magically able to follow my requests:

Una sándwich de jamón para llevar y un croissant, también para llevar

The man, old enough to be my father and clearly wanting to engage in casual conversation, tried again… this time with a smile while saying “tienes hambre!”. Though I heard that one before in slightly more words (“you eat a lot!”), my inability of conversing in Spanish showed with yet another smile. What's frustrating is that I understand Spanish as well as I do English! I will no longer be taken by rude... next time "if you eat well, you work well :-)"

Sem comentários: