17 abril, 2018

Caprichos #481

Moving to the UK a little over six months ago (and having lived in the US for over a decade), I am becoming acquainted with new vocabulary. For instance, what Americans call potato chips, here goes by crisps. What Americans call french fries, here are called potato chips. And there are more variations. I forget the nationality of the person who told me that the English have some weird eating habits with crisps, which consists of eating them with bread as a sandwich... I said nothing but my heart lit up with happiness as something that I liked to much as a child was not just a weird stuff of my own. So my lunch plans today passed by a supermarket where I got the ingredients. It is not trivial to do in an office with no kitchen utensils around, but it is doable... the tricky part is opening the bread with your fingers. Piece of advice: take some of the white part out to create space for the crisps and when you're done stuffing them inside press and hold the sandwich tight, otherwise you'll have lots of crisp crumbles lying around, when the objective is to have them all either inside the bread or in your mouth! Ah the Brit I had inside since childhood without knowing... but there must still be something southern-European in me given my choice of side to go with the crisp sandwich ;-)
 
A viver no Reino Unido há pouco mais de seis meses (e tendo vivido nos Estados Unidos por mais de uma década), estou agora a tomar conhecimento de novo vocabulário. Por exemplo, batatas fritas de pacote, a que os americanos chamam potato chips, aqui chamam-se crisps. Batatas fritas, que os americanos chamam de french fries, aqui é chips. E há mais variações. Já não me lembro da nacionalidade da pessoa que me disse que os ingleses têm alguns hábitos alimentares esquisitos, como comer batatas fritas de pacote dentro do pão... eu não disse nada, mas fiquei muito contente cá dentro por algo que eu tanto gostava em criança não ser apenas uma coisa esquisita minha. Por isso os meus planos de almoço hoje passaram pelo supermercado onde encontrei os ingredientes. Não é super fácil preparar este almoço num gabinete sem utensílios de cozinha, mas faz-se... a parte mais complicada é abrir o pão com os dedos. Um conselho: tirar um bocado do miolo para criar espaço para as batatas fritas e quando se terminar de as meter lá dentro deve-se apertar e segurar a sanduíche firmemente, sob pena de haver muitas migalhas de batata frita por todo o lado, quando o objectivo é tê-las dentro do pão ou da boca! Ah o britânico que eu tinha em mim desde a infância sem saber... ainda assim, deve restar algo de sul-europeu  na minha pessoa dado o acompanhamento que escolhi para a minha sandes de batatas fritas ;-)

Sem comentários: