09 novembro, 2014

Foi neste dia #243 (1989)

I remember finding it hard to understand the concept of West and East Berlin, when I heard it for the first time. I naturally thought that the border between the two Germanys went through Berlin, but the map showed the city completely inside the GDR. I realized then that West Berlin was completely surrounded by the wall. Those inside were free, while those outside wanted to go there. It was then that I understood that something was very wrong with the communist system...

25 years after the fall of the wall, there are lit balloons along 15km of the wall's path to remind the absurdity that marked so many lives.
Lembro-me que me custou a entender o conceito de Berlim Ocidental e Oriental da primeira vez que me foi explicado. Naturalmente pensei que a fronteira entre as duas Alemanhas passava por Berlim, mas o mapa mostrava que a cidade se encontrava totalmente dentro da RDA. Dei-me então conta que era Berlim Ocidental que se encontrava cercada pelo muro. Quem estava dentro era livre e quem estava fora queria para lá ir. Foi nessa altura que me apercebi que devia haver algo de muito errado com o sistema comunista...


25 anos depois da queda do muro há balões luminosos em 15 km do percurso para lembrar o absurdo que afectou tantas vidas.

Sem comentários: