04 fevereiro, 2011

Coisas que não mudam #150

Fixed ideas

Brains behave in strange ways... or maybe it's just my brain.

Lately my computer has been acting weird. Among other things the touchpad, at points, has completely reversed directions. That is, if you move to the right, the cursor goes to the left and vice-versa, and if you move up, the cursor goes down and vice versa as well. It is very counterintuitive to see the cursor move in the opposite direction your finger is moving, but after a while you're actually able to move your finger in the right-top direction when you want to move the mouse to the lower-left part of the screen. It means that you can actually train your brain to overcome the incorrect sight on the screen, which doesn't match the instructions your brain is giving your hand. Everything is a little slower than it would if the touchpad was working normaly, especially when you need to click on small links. Other than that, what's left is a mild annoyance of having to do this every time you use the mouse. As a result you end up using the keyboard more.

Now, what's really annoying is when the touchpad returns to normal after hibernating, or restarting... if those tricks work. Your (or shall I say my) brain is incapable of assimilating the change: it still tells your finger to move in the opposite direction of where you want the mouse to go... that is, you want to move the cursor top-left and you actually move your finger lower-right. Incredible! This is the time I tell myself everything is back to normal, why is this so hard? after which I can actually put the mouse where I want... 5 seconds later, when I use the touchpad again, I move in the wrong direction. Unbelievable! Last time it took me more than an hour to recover normal functioning. I wonder if it's just my brain... it's probably just my computer telling my brain that it's time to find him a substitute, but the brain doesn't react; yet! ;-)

Sem comentários: