20 abril, 2008

Espantos #105

Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada (summer)

The Canadian notion of distance is very different, even from the American one. At dinner I sat at a table with people from Calgary, Canada. Here are some interesting remarks:

me is Calgary in Ontario [province]?
them no, Alberta [another province].
me oh, so it's closer to the West Coast...
them yes, much closer. Alberta is right next to British Columbia [another province]... it's a two day drive just to get to Ontario.
me I see... so how long is it from Calgary to Vancouver [in BC]?
them by car or flying?
me by car.
them 12 hours.
me wow!
them the flight takes about an hour only.
me really?!
them yeah, but it's one of the best drives ever!
me can you see the mountains in the distance?
them no, you're driving through them! Have you heard of Lake Louise?
me yes!
them we're just an hour drive away from there.
me I have seen some pictures, it must be beautiful... the turquoise color of the water seems unreal.
them and it looks exactly like that!

Sem comentários: