24 setembro, 2019

Numa sala perto de mim #413

Pulp Fiction (1994), set in Los Angeles, tells three stories revolving around violent criminal activity. Told in exaggerated form and accompanied by gory, crude, and comedic details, the movie at times reaches the point of ridicule... in a style I don't really appreciate.

At 25 years old, Pulp Fiction is widely acknowledged as a classic. I don't like Quentin Tarantino, so I never really longed to watch any of his movies. I knew a few of the iconic passages in this movie, and of course the masterful soundtrack, but not the plot details. The continuous shooting technique and the non-chronological order, actually magnify the impact of some scenes that miraculously all tie up in the end. Even though I don't appreciate the style, I recognize a stroke of genius, despite the madness and gratuitous violence.

After withstanding the first thirty minutes, the movie grew on me and I can unashamedly say that it's worthy beyond the dance scene, which is, on its own, rather remarkable. And no one, NO ONE, dances like John Travolta... an(other) actor that I don't much care for, but boy does he put on a show there... too bad that in that memorable passage the camera focuses more on Uma Thurman than on him.

Sem comentários: