25 julho, 2012

Palavras lidas #198

A wonderful book* about expectations, realizations and the distance between the two. Profound and philosophical, makes the reader think about life in a different perspective. Set in Lisbon... can't wait for the movie!
__________________

He loved tains, they were a symbol of life for him. I would like to have traveled in his compartment. But he didn't want me there. He wanted me on the platform, he wanted always to be able to open the window and ask for advice. And he wanted the platform to go along when the train started moving. Like an angel, I was to stand on the moving platform, on the angels' platform sliding there at exactly the same speed. (p. 351)

Life is not what we live; it is what we imagine living. (p. 438)
__________________

*I purchased the book from Amazon (Grove Press edition), and it is missing pages 51 to 82. Though I got my money back, Amazon did not send me an undamaged book, which was rather disappointing.

Sem comentários: