11 maio, 2012

Coisas que não mudam #187

It's commencement day. Arriving on campus around 9am I started seeing multiple lines of graduates near the main buildings, all waiting for the big entrance to the main university lawn, now packed with chairs in front of a big stage... the Pomp and Circumstance march already sounding in the distance. 

Over the past couple of days the movement around campus has already been unusual. Many students walk around with their families, some coming from all around the world. Yesterday I heard my name yelled from far. It was one of my students running towards me while saying she wanted to introduce me to her family. My student is half American and half Catalan, and it was a pleasure to chat with them half in Spanish and half in Catalan thousands of miles away from Barcelona! Seeing the recognition for my services in those parents' eyes touched me. Saying congratulations on your daughter's graduation was very little to compliment the major achievement of this family after four years.

Sem comentários: